Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Some of my favorite fingerplays and songs

A grandmother asked me the other day for the words to some of the songs and fingerplays I use a lot in my storytimes and I thought it would be a good idea to post them somewhere in case you wanted to try them at home. I always use the same opening and closing stuff, and I try to adjust the fingerplays and songs I use based on the season of storytime I'm in, winter, spring, etc., or whatever storytime theme I'm using.

Fingerplays are a great way to teach rhyming and body awareness and are a way for kids to practice both their gross and fine motor skills. And they get the wiggles out between stories! One of my favorite sources for fingerplays and songs is I'm a Little Teapot! by Jane Cobb.

Wiggle Fingers
Wiggle fingers, wiggle so, (wiggle fingers in front)
Wiggle high, wiggle low, (stretch arms up high, then low to ground)
Wiggle left, wiggle right, (wiggle fingers toward left of body, then to right)
Wiggle fingers out of sight. (hide fingers behind back)

Rain on the Green Grass
Rain on the green grass, (flutter fingers down)
Rain on the trees, (stretch arms up high and spread fingers out like a tree)
Rain on the rooftop, (touch fingertips together above head like the top of a triangle or house)
But not on me. (point thumbs toward self and shake head, 'no')

Tommy Thumbs
Tommy Thumbs up, Tommy Thumbs down,
Tommy Thumbs dancing all around the town.
Dance them on your shoulders,
Dance them on your head,
Dance them on your knees,
And tuck them into bed. (tuck thumbs into fists)
Repeat with Polly Pinkies

Now It's Time to Say Goodbye to All Our Friends
(tune: "She'll Be Comin' Around the Mountain")
Now it's time to say goodbye to all our friends, "Goodbye!" (clap hands to beat and wave during 'goodbye')
Now it's time to say goodbye to all our friends, "Goodbye!"
Now it's time to say goodbye,
Wave your hands,
Wink your eye,
Now it's time to say goodbye to all our friends, "Goodbye!"

No comments: